Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 M3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Come Fly With Me...

Rides:2001 X5 4.4, 1997 M3
Region: USA - South East
jeijay is a New Registered Member
Talking Seat Help!

Here's my Issue. I am planning on buying some vaders and swapping out my Lux seats Saturday only thing is both my M's were Lux and I have not had the pleasure of driving and knowing the differnt between both types of seats. Any body willing to give up a guided ride that has vader seats. I am in Birmingham, Al and will be passing thru ATL Thursday night on my way to NC. Thanks

Last edited by jeijay; 03-13-2012 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Check that spelling.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:53 AM
Master License

Rides:'99 M3
Region: USA - West
Vitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master License
You're making a mistake. Vaders look cool, but are far less comfortable than the seats you have.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:14 AM
Master License

Rides:'98 M3 Sedan
Region: USA - New England
fiveightandten is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitolo View Post
You're making a mistake. Vaders look cool, but are far less comfortable than the seats you have.
...and they're less supportive.

They do look very cool though. So much so that I don't think I've ever seen someone buy a set of lux seats to replace a set of vaders. IMO, like the side mirrors, vaders are one of the iconic styling cues that makes the E36 M3 what it is.

They're not uncomfortable IMO. I enjoy them just fine. But for anyone concerned with functionality only, vaders don't come out on top in the comfort and support game.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:35 AM
///M

Rides:97 M3
Region: USA - North East
jayjaya29 is a New Registered Member
Vaders are for fat people and only look cool.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:01 PM

Rides:95 M3 Cosmos CP
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
nucci is a New Registered Member
When I changed jobs 4.5 months ago and my commute grew from 8 miles to 38, I nearly sold my car because of the back pain from Vaders. (Then I found a pair of Racetech RT1000 fixed-back seats and the rest is history).
Old 03-14-2012, 04:25 PM
Come Fly With Me...

This was the kind of info I needed. I drive alot and I know from doing day after day on 95 from VA to Dc that my
Lux seats are comfortable as all
Get out. That was 52 miles each way for 5 years in the 95. Thanks for the help as reading up suggest's that the Vader are just as comfortable but I'm not sure with driving long distances any input from the masses Thank you all for the responses.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Master License

Rides:'98 M3 Sedan
fiveightandten is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeijay View Post
This was the kind of info I needed. I drive alot and I know from doing day after day on 95 from VA to Dc that my
Lux seats are comfortable as all
Get out. That was 52 miles each way for 5 years in the 95. Thanks for the help as reading up suggest's that the Vader are just as comfortable but I'm not sure with driving long distances any input from the masses Thank you all for the responses.
The problem I have with vaders when it comes to comfort is that they have a gigantic amount of lumbar "support". The seat back is a lot more convex than the lux and sedan seats are and IMO, it make the seat less comfortable. I don't find them to be bad seats. But with the lux seats, you don't have a huge piece of foam sticking in your back all the time. In cars I've had with adjustable lumbar support, I always leave it all the way in. People that like to have the support sticking into their back probably think vaders are quite comfortable.

They are a little firmer, most of the time. But it also depends on how much use the seats have seen. I have 80K mile vaders and 130K mile sedan seats. There's a difference. I've sat in, say, 160K mile vaders that make my sedan seats feel firm.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Come Fly With Me...

I think i am going to stick with my Lux seats...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM
Master License

Rides:'99 M3
Region: USA - West
Vitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master License
Nick, im one of those people who likes (some) lumbar and while vaders it, they completely lack shoulder support and that's what causes discomfort after ~25mins. Look at the side of the seat - its flat as a board. All of the good seats articulate forward up top and have more of an "S" profile instead of "/"

I've owned both style seats and done x-country trips in each. Lux/sport seats take the cake hands down. If I did not have Recaros I most certainly would have retrofitted M3 cabrio seats to my '99 coupe.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Street License

Rides:BMW M3 95
runindawg is a New Registered Member
I would suggest the OP find some Vaders to sit in and read a book for a bit before making a decision to switch.
I think people come in lots of shapes and sizes.

I personally have done multiple 10-12hr days in a row with the Vaders and found them comfortable. But, this is not the case with lots of folks.

I have an e46 with sport seats and adjustable lumbar support and will have to admit that given a choice for a cross country trip, the e46 seats have a small edge on the Vaders.

just my .02