Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Street License

Rides:e46
Region: USA - West
10psie46 is a New Registered Member
Car smokes white/gray smoke when going up hill

It happened again yesterday. I had been driving my car for about 15 minutes when I had to drive up an hill by my house. The car got sluggish and next thing you know there is greyish, white smoke coming out my exsaust for about 5 seconds and then the smoke went away. It never smoked again after that. This is getting to be a pain in the ass. I am not sure exactly what this issue is. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2009, 03:27 AM
Street License

Rides:BMW328CI 1996, BMW 535I 1992,BMW 530I 2004
Region: Canada
DIONESE is a New Registered Member
Head Gasket is gone.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:32 PM
Street License

Rides:e46
Region: USA - West
10psie46 is a New Registered Member
I figured out the problem it is the crank case/oil seperator. thanks for the replies.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:29 PM
The Irish Dude

Rides:1987 e28 BMW 535i
Region: USA - Great Plains
e28drver is a New Registered Member
oil

the rings on your pistons might be bad which is allowing oil to drip down onto your spark plugs, and oil on spark plugs is usually indicated by the white/grey smoke i get it sometimes on my car due to the bad rings on my 3rd cylinder
Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Street License

IT MAY BE PISTON RINGS BUT IT IS VERY LIKELY THE VALVE GUIDE SEALS. THIS MIGHT BE A TEMPORARY REPAIR AS THE WHOLE VALVE TRAIN LIKELY NEEDS A LOOK. YOU SEEM TO BE BURNING OIL, SO IT IS COMING FROM A SEAL OR FROM INSIDE THE ENGINE. CHECK THE OUT SIDE OF THE ENGINE WITH IT RUNNING. DO YOU SMELL BURNING OIL? IF NOT IT IS ONE OF THE ABOVE TWO ISSUES. YOUR ENGINE REQUIRES VALVE ADJUSTMENT EVERY 70,000 KLM OR 44,000 MLS. YOU WILL SEE AT THE TOP OF THE VALVE STEM WHERE IT LEAVES THE GUIDE. THIS SEAL CRACKS WITH AGE AND FAILS. TO TEST IF IT IS THE PISTONS REMOVE ALL THE SPARK PLUGS. REMOVE FAN BLADE AND DISCONNECT THE BATTERY. THREAD A COMPRESSION TESTED IN CYLINDER NUMBER ONE AND ROTATE THE ENGINE WITH POWER BARR AND SOCKET. HOLD CYLINDER AND TOP DEAD CENTRE AND WATCH THE COMPRESSION GAUGE. IF IT FALLS QUICKLY WITH NO HISS FROM THE VALVES AT THE STEM YOUR RINGS ARE LEAKING. IN ANY CASE THE OLD IRLS IS LOOKING FOR SOME LOVE.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Rides:sfdj
Region: USA - New England
lyfliclo is a New Registered Member
I accept with information:IF NOT IT IS ONE OF THE ABOVE TWO ISSUES. YOUR ENGINE REQUIRES VALVE ADJUSTMENT EVERY 70,000 KLM OR 44,000 MLS. YOU WILL SEE AT THE TOP OF THE VALVE STEM WHERE IT LEAVES THE GUIDE. THIS SEAL CRACKS WITH AGE AND FAILS. TO TEST IF IT IS THE PISTONS REMOVE ALL THE SPARK PLUGS. REMOVE FAN BLADE AND DISCONNECT THE BATTERY.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:21 PM
Street License

I am assuming his car is an E46 which would not require valve lash adjustment like the older 12 valve engines. Because this happened only for a brief period I would suspect blow bye from the piston rings. Did you stall the car when you parked it? It was common in old cars of any make for some blow bye in one or two cylinders when you shut it off. Modern cars with systems like vanos don't suffer this. Again BMW's are thirsty oil users once they changed to synthetic. An old E36 will burn almost no oil where is the E46 will go through up to three litres between oil changes. I friend was just over at my house in a panic as he saw no oil on his dipstick. He had not check his 530 since I changed the oil for him 12,000 klms ago. If your running in stop and go traffic and then stomp on it on the highway it would not be unusual for a little oil to burn off. What is upsetting is this was going uphill a clear sign you have blow bye. Adding a Teflon additive to your engine will help it some. If it persists I would sell it, hopefully to a little old lady whom won't push it. Did you put conventional oil in a car which had a steady diet of synthetic? Both of these actions could cause blow bye in a low mileage vehicle.