Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 02:57 AM
Master License

Rides:nothing
95m3 is a New Registered Member
Best way to get into auto industry?

I'm starting school at a university and it's beginning to make me question my aspirations in life. I love cars and want a career in the automotive industry, however, not wrenching on cars for a living. I know the field is broad, almost too broad, so where can I start? Should I be going to UTI or Wyotech, or first get a degree in business admin. and see where that takes me? What is a good first step?
Old 08-16-2005, 11:38 AM
Master License

Rides:Mercedes-Benz, ML-430, '99 || BMW, 735i, '85
ichbin is a New Registered Member
I'd say either major in business administration with a minor in something like engineering or some sort of high level structural design program focused on vehicles. Or major in the engineering and minor in business administration then go onto graduate school and get a masters in business administration. The whole while make sure you focus on vehicular mechanics engineering as opposed to merely structural engineering. You want to have moving parts experience. If you can show both design and administrative talent then you'll be off on the right foot. Plus if you don't end up getting into the automotive world by some chance you'll at least be making 100k+ with the MBA.

-Goodluck
Old 08-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Italian Stallion

Rides:06 WRB STI
Region: USA - South East
///BMW_M_Power is a New Registered Member
After i get my masters in finance I would love to go to work for BMW in Germany
Old 08-18-2005, 11:07 PM
Master License

Rides:1995 318is and 1984 533i
Region: USA - New England
VenomRS4 is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichbin
I'd say either major in business administration with a minor in something like engineering or some sort of high level structural design program focused on vehicles. Or major in the engineering and minor in business administration then go onto graduate school and get a masters in business administration.

I agree totally! You could open your own business in the automotive field too.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:00 AM
Slushmaster 5000

Rides:BMW 325i 1995
Region: USA - South East
Active Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master LicenseActive Alpine has achieved their Master License
I'm doing Chemical Engineering, but I may transfer over to Mechanical Engineering. I'm gonna try to minor in business, so it'll only take a year or so to get a full MBA. I'm in the same boat. I personally would love nothing more than to have a high up job at BMW.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Master License

Yeah, I would love to open my own business in the field, but I just feel that I lack overall automobile experience. I want more hands on, car experience, as opposed to general engineering knowledge. My school doesn't really have an auto program however. What are good instructional schools like UTI that could help me open a business?
Old 08-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Master License

Rides:2008 VW GTI
Region: USA - North East
hammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master Licensehammerfang has achieved their Master License
owning a dealership of ur own would be pretty cool, i hope to do that someday
Old 08-21-2005, 10:11 PM
torqued up!

Rides:'97 Arctic Silver BMW 328iS
ArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master LicenseArcticFlow has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerfang
owning a dealership of ur own would be pretty cool, i hope to do that someday
my plan kindof, i already work @ Hank Aaron's Jag dealership in Augusta, GA, and once I graduate w/ my Business Admn. major, I plan to move up to Atlanta and become head manager @ Hank Aaron BMW in Union City...hopefully everything works out like it should
Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Rides:96 m3
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
caracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master License
I'll gladly help you out.

First off, where in the auto industry do you want to go into? The consumer sales division:dealerships, wholesalers etc etc? or the mechanics part of it? The auto industry is very large and you have to pick where to go into.

If your looking forward to learning the basic mechanics, as in you are a novice, then a school like UTI or others would be a good first step. If you are experienced, i highly recommend you do not enter a school like UTI. Being a mechanic at a dealership is not the greatest job in todays world. Sure, year ago it was a great job. Now, the industry has changed and everything is about warranty. Warranty does not pay SHIT when you are working in a dealership.The days of mechanics making 120k+ a year are over unless you have been making that money and are a master tech at a high end dealership. It is very repetitive work but you do get to work on neat cars. If you want to step into that world, the best way to start is to find a job at a dealership as an apprentice. They will teach you what you need to know and will fly you to schools to learn the modern technologies on todays cars. Again, times have changed and almost everything is computarized. Most problems with BMW's you simply plug into the DIS system and wahlaa, it tells you whats wrong etc etc and how to fix it. A good mechanic will make around 60-80k a year on average, and thats only at high end dealerships and once youve been working there for a long period of time. To finish about dealership talk: Once you become a dealership mechanic....you always will be one.

In the business side....well go get an education in business or management or whatever it is you want to go into. Then start looking for dealerships that are hiring, and start from there. Experience is the key Period. You wont just graduate and find yourself in an office in Munich working for BMW. You wont own a dealership unless youve worked at one and know how it goes. So whatever you want to do...if it includes dealerships...then find a job in one.

Engineering, well again, you have to find an education for that. Keep in mind you will not actually be a mechanic, you will be designing suspension parts or whatever it might be. Its a tough field to get into but there are good colleges out there that have good auto engineering programs.

Motorsports....well if your looking to get into motorsports let me know and i will gladly help you out. I sure as hell dont know everything about everything...but i will help you with whatever i can.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Rides:96 m3
caracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master Licensecaracas_e30 has achieved their Master License
suneal i dont have a cell phone with me currently, its disconnected since im currently living in canada. I will have it back on in 2 weeks when i move back to the states. Either way i would love to hear about your idea so feel free to email me or pm me.

Glad to help out with what i can.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:57 AM
Forget What You Know

Rides:E36 328
midtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Membermidtown328i is a New Registered Member
Carlos, could we get a little more info about getting into the motorsports field? Does it generally require a college education? I'm not talking about becoming a race driver because I know you have to start super young for that.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Master License

I'm not motivated enough to get an education in engineering. haha. however, I'm almost trying to combine a career in motorsports with a business aspect, whereas, I don't really want to race cars, but I'd love to be involved with a race team, shop that has racecars, etc. What business options are out there that aren't involved with dealerships? I'm aiming at something a little more performance oriented. Thanks a lot for the wise words- I appreciate it.
Old 09-04-2005, 04:28 AM
Huh?

Rides:something good soon
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
x510x is a New Registered Member
I'm a junior in high school right now and am takeing technical drawing and other basic engineering classes now so I can get them out of the way. I'm planning on becoming a mechanical engineer. I'm hoping to go to Texas A&M or Cal Berkley and get involved in Formula SAE....I'm going to the SCCA club races today to try and find a team to help out so I can gain more hands on expierience. caracas_e30 what area of motorsports are you in?
Old 09-07-2005, 08:53 PM
Master License

Rides:'98 M3
Region: USA - New England
98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License98TechnoM3 has achieved their Master License
I go to UTI and there are alot of students who are experienced mechaincs and they learn new things everyday. And they have dealership taught programs from BMW, AUDI, VW, PORSCHE, VOLVO, JAGUAR, and INTERNATIONAL taught BY THAT DEALER NOT UTI! You go to UTI get good grades and all and apply for ur advanced manufacturer program that u want to do IF you want to do one and there ya go. Once the manufacturer accepts you and you pass their program you are GUARANTEED a job with them G U A R A N T E E D! and bmw's program (BMWSTEP) puts you 2 yrs ahead of every other bmw technician that didnt do the step program so its only 3 yrs to MASTER tech instead of AT LEAST 5! and they say you START at 60K a year after graduating STEP program....this is NO lie i know people from it

www.bmwstep.com
Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 AM
Gear Head

Rides:1980 635csi, Euro, 1991 525, 1997 M3
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
Ol'6erGuy is a Permit Holder
My nephew works for Ford. He just got done designing the frame for the F-150. May not sound like much but the family is mighty proud of him. Not everyone gets recruited into R&D. He is a graduate of the U of W (that's University of Washington) engineering school.