Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower > General Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Got Bimmer?

Rides:2002 X5 ; 95 325is ; 99 Cavalier
Region: USA - South West
swoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Member
Frame Straightening

Ok so my girlfriend's 99 Cavalier pulls hard to the left. Now it's not the alignment, just had that checked. I think it's the engine cradle because the left wheel is pushed so far back that touches the back-side of the wheel well, and the right wheel sits noticable farther forward than it should. I am taking it to a frame shop to see what's up...

Can anyone lead me in the right direction..
Old 04-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Master License

Rides:99 alpagma m3
hnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master License
re

you cannot straighten a unibody. frame-straightening is a term form the 1960s.
if the chassis is infact cock-eyed then uve got a problem thats basically unfixable.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:04 AM
Smooth Operator

Rides:Bimmer
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
Mac0485 is a New Registered Member
Take it to a shop that can do frame alignments. They should have a jig setup for certain cars and they can match it up to its factory specs.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:27 PM
Got Bimmer?

Rides:2002 X5 ; 95 325is ; 99 Cavalier
swoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Memberswoop is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnoppenberger
if the chassis is infact cock-eyed then uve got a problem thats basically unfixable.
you can straighten a unibody frame and it's not even that screwed up... To be more precise it's the engine cradle, it's the engine subframe and this piece can either be replaced or straightened.
Old 04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Parkway Patrol

Rides:boxers
Region: USA - South East
big_sur is a New Registered Member
Quote:
go to a decent body shop. look around. find the machine with the biggest hydraulics there. voila a guide to an epiphany.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Master License

Rides:99 alpagma m3
hnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master License
re

ya, thats not the CHASSIS of the car though. the body doesnt bolt up to a flat chassis in one piece anymore, the "frame" of the car is what the body bolts up to, only crown vics and mercs have that anymore.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:14 AM
Master License

Rides:1985 MB 380SE and 1998 BMW 540iA
marlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Member
Quote:
ya, thats not the CHASSIS of the car though. the body doesnt bolt up to a flat chassis in one piece anymore, the "frame" of the car is what the body bolts up to, only crown vics and mercs have that anymore.
Can you explain the two difference in a bit more detail? I dont doubt you, I'm just genuinely interested.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:46 AM
Master License

Rides:ervything
robfrmny21 is a New Registered Member
its american... lol... now she could have wacked a curb and bent the strut/ lower control arm... if you read me the alignment specs i can help you out better... include camber, sai and anything that was adjusted be4 and after
Old 05-05-2005, 08:18 PM
POTHOLE DODGER

Rides:03-330I STERLING GREY CUSTOM ORDER COLOR
TG328TG is a New Registered Member
heres the deal...unibody vehicles (anything good) nowadays are made in "sections" hence the unibody term. what it means is that pieces can be cut out and replaced back to factory specs within 1mm tolerance by a qualified shop.

frame vehicles are old school technology and large trucks (suburban,denali,rovers, etc)these have a "body" that bolts to a full frame (front to back of the vehicle) chassis.

your subframe is a suspension component. based on the primitive measuring you described you could be 100% correct that it is the subframe. however more than likely all the suspension components on that side should be replaced.

for anymore info, pm me

nowadays the "frame" word gets thrown around due to lack of knowledge but unibody damage can happen on a $2000 accident. its common and very repairable
Old 05-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Master License

marlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Membermarlinspike is a New Registered Member
So this makes unibody damage much more repairable than the same damage on the old frame vehicles right? I was recently in an accident, and the only damage to the unibody construction was just to the trim below the headlamp that happens to be connected to the piece of unibody that the fender attaches to. Rather than replace that bit of unibody they are just going to straighten it since it's a nont structural part, but it seems like even if I had just plowed in straight on and bent that whole unibody part, it could still be made good as new, would just be a matter of paying for labor of taking things apart and putting them back on, no?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
POTHOLE DODGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike
So this makes unibody damage much more repairable than the same damage on the old frame vehicles right? I was recently in an accident, and the only damage to the unibody construction was just to the trim below the headlamp that happens to be connected to the piece of unibody that the fender attaches to. Rather than replace that bit of unibody they are just going to straighten it since it's a nont structural part, but it seems like even if I had just plowed in straight on and bent that whole unibody part, it could still be made good as new, would just be a matter of paying for labor of taking things apart and putting them back on, no?
correct, unibody is much more repairable than a full frame vehicle. however, the piece you speka of is not unibody, it is just a bolt on part. the rfont uniobody would be the radiator support (technically) or the paron (in front of the strut tower) or the lower sidemembers (where the bumper absorbers slide into)

full frames used to get hacked up all the time b/c people wouldnt total a vehicle or replace the frame. they would get a cherry hot torch and heat the flock out of it and wack it with a sledge or hydraulic ram but this would signif. weaken the metal......
Old 05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Master License

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG328TG
correct, unibody is much more repairable than a full frame vehicle. however, the piece you speka of is not unibody, it is just a bolt on part. the rfont uniobody would be the radiator support (technically) or the paron (in front of the strut tower) or the lower sidemembers (where the bumper absorbers slide into)
The part I'm talking about they'll be straightening is part of the paron. You can see it directly below the headlamp here

I thought it was part of the fender, until I took a closer look.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:11 AM
POTHOLE DODGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinspike
The part I'm talking about they'll be straightening is part of the paron. You can see it directly below the headlamp here

I thought it was part of the fender, until I took a closer look.
YEAH THATS SIMPLE...DONT BE ALARMED
Old 05-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Master License

Quote:
Originally Posted by TG328TG
YEAH THATS SIMPLE...DONT BE ALARMED
Hehe, $4200 simple. but good to know I'm not to be alarmed.