Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > Forced Induction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2002, 06:46 PM
Banned

Rides:1989 M3 2.5
ROB89M3 is a New Registered Member
Question Naturally aspirated vs. Forced induction..

Hi, what are some of your opinions of Forced induction vs. Naturally aspirated.

Are turbos/superchargers just as reliable as porting/polishing head,as well as boring out/stroking an engine?I hear that N.A is more relaible....

I read that on a road course track,that turbos/superchargers get too hot and the best route to take is N.A. Is this fact or fiction?

Are Turbos/superchargers only good for drag strips?Which is the cheaper route to take?

I just started this so that people can read various opinions on this jsut in case they want to add more power.
Old 07-17-2002, 04:29 AM
Hangin @ Bojangles

Rides:Turbocharged BMW 2002
Region: Australia
2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License2002 turbo has achieved their Master License
If you want big power with a BMW motor (provided you don't have access to their current 3 litre V10 F1 motor) go forced induction everytime, especially with a turbocharger!
Forced induction can be reliable provided the system is properly designed and developed with all components being carefully matched. Naturally aspirated motors are less complex which is why they seem more reliable, they don't have the added hassles of extra parts like turbos, wategates, boost controls, piping etc but a naturally aspirated engine which is subject to high RPMs constantly can be just as fragile as a boosted motor in a racing environment. It really depends how much you are asking from your components, every part has a limit to how much work it can do before it will fail.
Turbo motors only run hot if they use ineffective intercooling and water cooling systems, get this sorted and you want have problems with intake temps or water temp.
If drags are your thing forced induction is your friend, power and torque is what you need at the drags combined with good traction and suspension too
Cheaper? That depends on how far you want to take it
Old 07-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Master License

Rides:X
Region: USA - West
BLOWN3 is a New Registered Member
Thumbs up Nice car man!

Your E30 M3 looks hot!

As for N/A vs Forced induction, you will extract a lot of power more reliably from forced induction than N/A.

For example, my mechanic, "2002 Turbo" has a friend in Germany who races in hill-climbs with an E36 that used to pack a E30 M3 2.5L engine which developed 400HP (naturally aspirated). Problem was he had to rebuild it (with very expensive parts) after only a few hundred kilometres.

On the other hand, a turbo 2.5L engine can make 400hp a lot more reliably. "2002 Turbo"s 1973 2002 makes that much power from a turbo 2.0L! That thing hammers!
Old 07-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Banned

Rides:1989 M3 2.5
ROB89M3 is a New Registered Member
Re: Nice car man!

Quote:
Originally posted by BLOWN3
Your E30 M3 looks hot!
Thanks man. Great to get some lovin' from an E36'er for a change...hehe
Old 07-17-2002, 09:07 PM
Master License

Rides:1995 white 325
Pissed325 is a New Registered Member
i really do dig your e30..
Old 07-18-2002, 12:11 AM
Master License

Re: Re: Nice car man!

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3

They're very rare in Australia! I love the phat guards! That's the cool thing about the E30 M3 - lesser E30's can't look like an M3 just by purchasing bodykit etc.

Lucky for me the E36 M3 isn't in the same boat
Old 07-18-2002, 10:26 PM
Master License

Rides:i drive a bimmer.. :)
Beemerman328m is a New Registered Member
there is a saying we have here in colorado "id rather be BLOWN, than STROKED" NA motors cost WAYYYYY much more than any sort of forced induction, i wish i have prices for you, but lets just put it like this, to natrually aspirate your motor, you would first have to rebuild it, thrown in ehhhhhhemmm, CAI, Exhaust, pulleys, cams, headers, different ignition, euro hfm, stroke it, and much much muc more to get horses out of it, alone with all the things i just mentioned it would cost you about 5k...can you say active auto works....yeah itll work...oh and btw e30's are the shit, always luved em always will..
Old 07-19-2002, 07:09 AM
Master License

Rides:2002, BMW M3 (SMG II)
dallasbboy is a New Registered Member
It depends on the compression and "room to breathe" properties of the engine.

In most cases though forced induction is the cheaper and more efficient choice.

Brian
Old 07-19-2002, 08:43 AM
Master License

Quote:
Originally posted by Beemerman328m
there is a saying we have here in colorado "id rather be BLOWN, than STROKED"
What about both?

Too bad I can't find anyone who makes 2.1L stroker kits for my M44 1.9L engine. I wouldn't mind a bit more bottom end torque
Old 08-03-2003, 03:48 PM
workin hard 22 y/o

Rides:Turbo 94' 318I, 86' 325e
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
943184dr is a Permit Holder
isn't the stroker kit for the m44 the same as the m42? i think schnitzer makes it.

Tom
Old 08-04-2003, 09:36 AM
aka Will P.

Rides:nice car?
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
MD318is is a Permit Holder
Re: Re: Nice car man!

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
ya dude, you got me too, ur car is def. hot

good work.. N/A vs. FI... FI all day long, just get an electronic boost controller... and run 3psi on normal day driving, and pump it to 8 when u wanna race (numbers subject to change depending on engine )
Old 08-05-2003, 01:23 PM
Faster than a 325e

Rides:318is through a red light
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
nickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally posted by 2002 turbo
If you want big power with a BMW motor (provided you don't have access to their current 3 litre V10 F1 motor) go forced induction everytime, especially with a turbocharger!
Forced induction can be reliable provided the system is properly designed and developed with all components being carefully matched. Naturally aspirated motors are less complex which is why they seem more reliable, they don't have the added hassles of extra parts like turbos, wategates, boost controls, piping etc but a naturally aspirated engine which is subject to high RPMs constantly can be just as fragile as a boosted motor in a racing environment. It really depends how much you are asking from your components, every part has a limit to how much work it can do before it will fail.
Turbo motors only run hot if they use ineffective intercooling and water cooling systems, get this sorted and you want have problems with intake temps or water temp.
If drags are your thing forced induction is your friend, power and torque is what you need at the drags combined with good traction and suspension too
Cheaper? That depends on how far you want to take it
2002 turbo, post here!!! Anybody have a BMW 2002 Turbo?