Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 M3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 09:38 PM
Street License

Rides:94 318is
Region: USA - North East
flip1039 is a New Registered Member
sorry posted this in the wrong section... will move it up to the right one. Recently my drivers door on my 94 318is will not open at all from the outside. It was kind of a slow process (for a while I could get it to open but would have to play with it). I have taken my car to a bmw repair shop and they quoted me $400 to fix it! They say coding is the most expensive part of it, but they also mentioned if I researched and found out if it was possible to swap the inner parts of my broken handle to a new one it could save me money. Anyone know if this is possible? Or any other ideas? I just have a hard time bringing myself to pay $400 for a door handle (I could have some good performance parts for that price). I can do the work myself also, I have been taking it to the shop cause i've been really busy. Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thank You

Last edited by flip1039; 04-21-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Master License

Rides:325is
ztiski360 is a New Registered Member
in my family we have had 3 e36's and all but one the doors sucked. ive tryed everything with mine and they still suck the best thing ive found is if you push in when u pull up on the handle it helps get you by. sorry i couldnt be more help
Old 05-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Master License

Rides:BMW M3 GT 1995
Region: Europe
BenM3GT is a New Registered Member
It could be as simple as reattaching a little Push-Wire inside the door. It's not a 400USD repair. More of a 40-80USD one.
Get a E36 Do-It-Yourself book for 20USD and a T20, T25 and T30 TORX, some basic tools and some Door-Clips form BMW (around 10 Cent a piece) is all you need.

The Handle transfers the movement to the Locking Mechanism via some Push-Wires. The Plastic.Attaching.Clips could break. I'm sure that they are 2USD max. I'm sure that you'll find photos on the net.

BTW:
There is nothing to code on a E36 door!

Ben

Last edited by BenM3GT; 05-29-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Rides:'99 Estoril/M-Cross/ '02 Cummins 5spd 4x4
Region: USA - New England
BadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master License
pull the door panel and see what's going on. there are alot of plastic pieces that can fail.

$400 is ridiculous. you could replace the entire mechanism for much much much less.

and yes, E36 doors, especially coupe doors fail. big time.

95s are
Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Master License

Rides:97 M3, Estoril
Region: USA - South East
e36mthree is a New Registered Member
i'm having the same problem. let me know which one of these options works please!
Old 06-22-2009, 02:49 PM

BadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master LicenseBadGTho has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mthree View Post
i'm having the same problem. let me know which one of these options works please!
what have you tried so far?

did you take the panel off?

95s are
Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM
Master License

not yet. heres the thing. i just recently got the car in april and i drove it for about 2 weeks and then i had to come back to iraq. i get home for good in sep. but until then i'm just trying to get all the info on what i need to do with i get back.

the door was working just fine when i got it but then it went bad.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e36mthree View Post
not yet. heres the thing. i just recently got the car in april and i drove it for about 2 weeks and then i had to come back to iraq. i get home for good in sep. but until then i'm just trying to get all the info on what i need to do with i get back.

the door was working just fine when i got it but then it went bad.
oh... ok cool.

what you will want to do is take the door panel off and confirm that none of the little plastic pieces broke.

if you pull up on the door handle outside and there is zero resistance... rest assured something broke,

if there is tons of resistance, something is about to.

the doors on the coupes especially do need periodic lubrication.

95s are
Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Master License

Rides:95 M3
ANT'S M3 is a New Registered Member
yea man dont sweat it..... see if you can get a flash light for when you pull the door panel off. inspect for broken parts.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Master License

alright i'll be sure to do these things. i think it might have something with the door panel. cause every time i open the door, the panel kinda makes a thud.

whats the best way to go about getting the panel off? i'm still kind of trying to get used to the whole german engineering.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Master License

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadGTho View Post
oh... ok cool.

what you will want to do is take the door panel off and confirm that none of the little plastic pieces broke.

if you pull up on the door handle outside and there is zero resistance... rest assured something broke,

if there is tons of resistance, something is about to.

the doors on the coupes especially do need periodic lubrication.

alright i'll be sure to do these things. i think it might have something with the door panel. cause every time i open the door, the panel kinda makes a thud.

whats the best way to go about getting the panel off? i'm still kind of trying to get used to the whole german engineering.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:32 PM

cool.. the panel may be separating.

there are somee DIYs but bascially it's as follows:

1: under the door pull there are 2 small screw covers.. pop them out and remove 2 torx screws.

2: if you have side airbags, pop off the "Airbag" badge with your fingernail and remove the screw behind it.

3: now get a door panel clip puller/shim/prybar and start to gently pull the panel away from the door.

4: once the panel is mostly free move to the top of the panel and gently pull it up and out of the door.

5: it's off

PS.. easier to do with the window down.

95s are
Old 06-24-2009, 11:58 PM
Master License

thanks a bunch, BadG. Did your car pictured here^ come with a stock spoiler? i'm thinking about taking mine off but i dont know what to do about the holes it would leave. the trunk plugs just look so cheesy and distasteful