Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2002, 07:52 AM
Master License

Rides:1995 BMW 325i
338 Tomahawk is a New Registered Member
Smile Improved MPG (325i)

Hello BMW Enthusiasts,

I’m new to this forum. I wonder if I could improve gas mileage by replacing to cold air intakes, a custom exhaust and better design muffler while gaining 7-10 HP on 325 engine. Everything else will remain the same. I prefer don’t want 318 engine.

I’m planning to purchase ’94-’95 325i within 6 months. When I check the price for BMW parts like stainless steel muffler and pipes. It is worth around $1000. Intakes – around $200. Do you think it is worth spending for a little gain on gas mileage? The 325i engine will do 20/29 (City/Hwy) MPG. I was hoping to gain 2-3 hwy MPG. I was reading CAR and Driver magazine way back in 1996, saying that the engine will accept regular unleaded. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Thank you,
-Denny
Old 04-14-2002, 08:06 AM
Master License

Rides:325 isT
John (PA) is a New Registered Member
Nothing personal, but it's really quite insane to spend that kind of money to save gas mileage, even if it did work. Have you done the math on how many miles you would have to drive to get the money back?

Besides, once you hear the intake and exhaust your foot will always be planted firmly in the throttle.
Old 04-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Master License

Rides:325i-'94
jamin325i is a New Registered Member
right on, john!
i would not comment, except your comment is so on target!
Old 04-14-2002, 12:23 PM
OBD1 S52!

Rides:Mrs. Daisy
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
Fissionx is a New Registered Member
If u want your car specifically for Fuel economy and from getting from point A to boint B, you shouldn't be getting a BMW. If u were looking for something w/ a little more class, i would get a new civic or insight or something. BTW how did u find out about these boards? Not to many people here mod twards better fuel economy..

Good luck on your new car purchase!
Old 04-14-2002, 01:35 PM
Master License

Rides:1995 BMW 325i
338 Tomahawk is a New Registered Member
None taken. John.

It may sound silly when you spend money on the engine and try to save some fuel. It will be paid off if you keep this car in a long run. Actually, I really like this car for fun and cruising. I like the style and the baddest car I ever seen. It will be also for transportation therefore I would like to save fuel as possible. My second choice would be 1999 Honda Accord V6. Third choice is 1999 VW Jetta TDI Diesel. I'm comparing the import parts between them. The aftermarket angel lights on the BMW is so awesome then I look for the price...sheesh... very expenisve. I just thought it might be worth around $100 to $200 but it isn't.

I feel comfortable toward to BMW than others because it has an excellent handing, braking and reliable.

Thanks for your input and feel free to tell me if it is worth spending on the engine for pleasure driving and transportation use.

-Denny
P.S. I typed 1995 BMW 325i in the search engine and I found it here. I prefer ask someone who have knowledge and own BMW's.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:04 PM
Master License

Rides:E36M3
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
C///M3 is a New Registered Member
It will make your engine more efficient, but your heavy foot will counter act that! Once you get an intake and exhaust, your car will sound amazing.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:16 PM
Master License

Rides:325 isT
John (PA) is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by 338 Tomahawk

Thanks for your input and feel free to tell me if it is worth spending on the engine for pleasure driving and transportation use.

Well, chips and exhaust are great upgrades well worth doing, you just need other motivation that gas mileage.
Old 04-14-2002, 02:39 PM
Bimmerf-orums sucks

Rides:E36 325i, W208 CLK430
Region: USA - West
BMWg84 is a New Registered Member
Whoa, whoa.. wait a second. You all are talking about losing fuel economy because you will want to smash the pedal down all the time if you had an intake and exhaust. I understand your point but maybe I can expand on your theories..

Our engines use a proportional amount of fuel/air. With a cone air intake your car will basically be providing MORE air making the fuel consumption increase, and as a result your performance will increase. Same with a freer flowing exhaust. "you can only take in as much as you put out." Meaning that you will be pulling in a lot more air because the whole exhaust system is allowing for it.

Am I right?

I say, if you want better fuel mileage just don't drive above 55 on the highway. (where the little red line is on your MPH gauge)

Last edited by BMWg84; 04-14-2002 at 02:42 PM.