Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 01:10 PM
4 Door Ownage

Rides:'98 M3/4 Alpine on Dove
Miknow is a New Registered Member
Ticking noise after hard driving. HELP!

My problem is that after hard driving I get a ticking noise. Its not my Vanos unit cause that already went out.

The knocks between the vanos are more spread out. Knock....Knock....Knock.

But this noise that I am getting is a loud ticking noise. Its more frequent than the Vanos noise. Tick..Tick..Tick..Tick.

When I press the gas and increase RPMs the noise picks up and the pause between them are shorter.

First thing that came into mind was possibly a valve. Would my car run with a bent valve? The car runs fine and when i floor it, it still pulls fine.

What do you guys think? Any kind of input would be nice because I am planning a long road trip.

When I leave the car to sit for a whileand start it back up....the noise is no more.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:43 PM
<--Dream Car:)

Rides:'99 Eclipse GS-T
Region: USA - Great Plains
92318is is a New Registered Member
It could be sticky lifters, my car used to tick as well, but then I put in some cleaner (can't remember the name of it) and it went away after about a week.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:16 PM
4 Door Ownage

Do you mean like a Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Oil additives? Or the actualy cleaner that you use between oil changes.
Old 12-13-2004, 04:20 PM
///Mcentric

Rides:99 Titanium Silver ///M3
KCRuneekVW is a New Registered Member
I actually have the EXACT same problem, down to the word to how you described yours, i have a 99 M3..with the ticking...after a hard lil driving session. Asked the service mechanic what he thought...he didnt have any ideas. Any help???
Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 PM
Master License

Rides:1999 Estoril M3
MiataMe is a New Registered Member
It is probably the lifters like mentioned earlier. It is typical for hydraulic adjustable lifters to get stuck sometimes. It isn't a big deal but the only way to fix it is new lifters or get lucky with a top engine clean...but that can have bad effects on stuff like O2 sensors and cats.
Most pre 99 Miatas has this problem and people have been putting on hundreds of thousands of miles without any problems.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Marc1119

Make sure the oil level is FULL. If it is even down 1/2 quart, the lifters can make noise . It is recommended to actually keep your oil 1/2 quart OVERFULL, and the problem should cease.

I definitely meant 1/2 quart ONLY , overfull. No more.

This is a common problem on our engines.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:01 AM
$10 V.I.P.

Rides:'96 328is
Privatestreet is a New Registered Member
my car does it too. But its nothing compared to the MX-6 I had. The ticking that car made was nearly enough to make me embarrassed to drive the damn thing.
But yes, its the lifters.
I noticed after an oil change the ticking would be less. Also, some additives helped as well.

There was a process mentioned on the MX-6 (mx6.com maybe?) on how to clean them. It involved actually taking them out and cleaning them. Everyone that did it said it worked very well.. but its a pain to do.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknow
Do you mean like a Lucas Oil Stabilizer? Oil additives? Or the actualy cleaner that you use between oil changes.
I mean like some kind of oil additive that I put in when I changed my oil.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Marc1119

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92318is
I mean like some kind of oil additive that I put in when I changed my oil.
Do not put an oil additive in, and DO NOT pull your lifters out!!!!

I posted the answer above.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Do not put an oil additive in
Is this bad on our engines or something? Because it seemed to help with my ticking problem. The only problem I have now is squeaky belts whenever its cold out.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:45 PM

Rides:'89 325i, '90 535i
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
Dan-needabimma is a New Registered Member
Marc1119 is right. It's a common problem with the E36. During hard driving (cornering) the oil pump doesn't always pick up enough oil and the engine gets a little bit starved. Not usually life-threatening to your engine unless it sees a ton of track time, but it can be alleviated with a 1/2 quart or so before driving hard like Marc said.

A more permanent but expensive fix is an oil pan from a ltw M3 which has internal baffles that keep all the oil from moving to one side of the tank.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:55 PM

Asked a guy who's been a BMW master tech longer than I've been alive and he says most additives will produce other problems. Particles removed from your lifters may for example get stuck in a smaller oil channel and block it off.

Basically, the oil you put in your car has plenty of detergents in it already. If you really want to try it, the tech mentioned a product called Risnon (sp?) which has been okay in the past. He also said a quart of ATF with your oil change can help, but you shouldn't run it more than 1000miles or so.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:50 PM
4 Door Ownage

THANK GOD!

I thought I bent a valve or something serious. Is it normal that after driving hard and i rev the engine and hold it at 4k RPMS that the ticking goes away?
Old 12-14-2004, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miknow
THANK GOD!

I thought I bent a valve or something serious. Is it normal that after driving hard and i rev the engine and hold it at 4k RPMS that the ticking goes away?

Yes, the engine is getting the oil it needs once again. It will go away if you let it idle too.... just might take longer.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:17 AM
Master License

Rides:99 alpagma m3
Region: USA - South West
hnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master Licensehnoppenberger has achieved their Master License
mine does too, i got a friend too hook it up with oil cleaner that u put in 20 min before a change, that cleans everything out, then im gonna put in some lubro mos2 and hopefully that wil fix the problem.