Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Master License

Rides:bmw 318 1997
johnnyd99 is a New Registered Member
E36 Steering Wheel - How the heck do you lower it?

I want to install the chrome gage trim around my spedometer, fuel gage, etc, but to get thus unit out, the steering wheel has to be lowered. Ive searched everywhere, I cant figure out how to adjust the height on the damn wheel..... anyone know how or if its possible? I looked in the owners manual and it tells me to pull down the tab located underneath the wheel, but its not ther...

Its a 1997 318i.

thanks
Old 08-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Master License

Rides:E36 325is / 76 2002
Region: USA - West
onE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master License
I dont think you car has the tab, that lowers the weel. You will have to remove the weel. Or try and play with the cluster just right to get it out.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Master License

Rides:'99 M3
Vitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master LicenseVitolo has achieved their Master License
Since you cannot lower the wheel, you might be able to snake the gauge cluster out through the top opening of the steering wheel without removing it. If not, just remove the steering wheel
Old 08-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Mastermind

Rides:an e36 & e38
Chronz is a New Registered Member
Exclamation

-M3's are the only E36 that come w/ a tilt steering wheel . In order to get the cluster out you must first pull it as far towards you as possible and then turn your steeering wheel to the RIGHT as you pull the cluster out the right side. You might want to use some rags so you don't scratch anything! Hope this helps
Old 08-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Master License

onE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master LicenseonE has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronz
--M3's are the only E36 that come w/ a tilt steering wheel
With or with out? My car has a tilt and its a non M.
Old 08-14-2004, 01:04 PM
Master License

Rides:bmw 318 1997
johnnyd99 is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronz
-M3's are the only E36 that come w/ a tilt steering wheel . In order to get the cluster out you must first pull it as far towards you as possible and then turn your steeering wheel to the RIGHT as you pull the cluster out the right side. You might want to use some rags so you don't scratch anything! Hope this helps

Thanks for the advice dude, i was able to get it out...it wasnt easy removing it as the cluster was pressed so tightly against the back of the wheel and the dashboard that it actually pushed a section of the dash in. but good thing the dashboard is made of that soft flexible material, it returned back to its original shape after an hour
Old 08-14-2004, 01:41 PM

Rides:1999 White M3
Region: USA - South West
Scho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master License
It should not be hard at all if you turn the wheel as you snake it out towards the inside of the car. lad to hear you got it out though.

FYI, I dont have tilt in my M3.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:39 PM
dood

Rides:'95 M3
Region: USA - Great Plains
Irish5.7 is a New Registered Member
i also don't have tilt on my car, damn shame, i'd give almost anything to have tilt
Old 08-15-2004, 09:46 PM
BPG #107

Rides:2001 Imola 740i Sport
Region: USA - New England
John has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master LicenseJohn has achieved their Master License
Neither my 95 m3 or my 99 m3 had tilt.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:38 PM
Master License

Rides:95 M3
Region: USA - Great Lakes
EpDarks is a New Registered Member
I thought BMW made tilt wheels in early 95 production cars, and then scrapped it? Some kind of regulations forced them too I believe...
Old 08-16-2004, 04:19 PM
Master License

Rides:#56 IP M3
Region: USA - South West
SG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master License
http://www.apexcone.com/JimPowellHom.../tiltwheel.htm

You can still retrofit it.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Pimp extrodinare

Rides:Something that needs to be faster
99bimmer is a New Registered Member
SG_M3 thank you SO much for posting that. I don't have tilt either and it's been KILLING me!!! It's a little pricey but none the less totally worth it and something I will be doing asap! Thanks again.

Brad
Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 PM
Master License

Just to let you know. Its not a big tilt. maby 2inc drop.
Old 08-16-2004, 11:27 PM
Pimp extrodinare

Rides:Something that needs to be faster
99bimmer is a New Registered Member
That's all I need really............2 inches would be great.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Master License

Rides:98 e36 m3
dmose is a New Registered Member
..my 98 M sport 2dr came with tilt steering