Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Master License

Rides:93 325is
djelly84 is a New Registered Member
running car without AC compressor

Hey,
My AC compressor in my 93 325is has gone out. Will the car run without it, or at the least can i drive it like 30miles from the shop i left it at to my home or will i run risk of ****ing anything in my car up? Thanks, David
Old 03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
BMW TECH

Rides:92 330IS S/50
MARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master LicenseMARKSDIDDY92 has achieved their Master License
Yes the car will run. What do you meant it has gone out if you mean that the a/c no longer blows cold air and the problem is the compressor has failed internaly. It will not damage anything it will drive like normal.If its making noise due to a faulty bearing it will get worse over time and eventuly lock up. But if it makes noise just under there and remove the a/c drive belt its seprate from all the other components. ps,wp,alt, are ran off a serpintine belt.
Old 03-28-2004, 02:21 AM
Advanced Driver

Rides:BMW, 325iS, 1993
Coupe E36 is a New Registered Member
summer is around the corner, for me.. i would get it fixed asap. thats for sure ..
Old 03-28-2004, 02:28 AM
Advanced Driver

Rides:BMW, 325iS, 1993
Coupe E36 is a New Registered Member
summer is around the corner, for me.. i would get it fixed asap. thats for sure ..
Old 03-28-2004, 12:44 PM
diffs fear me

Rides:Camel
Region: USA - North East
themadhatter is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by MARKSDIDDY92
Yes the car will run. What do you meant it has gone out if you mean that the a/c no longer blows cold air and the problem is the compressor has failed internaly. It will not damage anything it will drive like normal.If its making noise due to a faulty bearing it will get worse over time and eventuly lock up. But if it makes noise just under there and remove the a/c drive belt its seprate from all the other components. ps,wp,alt, are ran off a serpintine belt.
he's right - follow what he said, it could save you allot of trouble.

for what it's worth, I've unplugged my compressor before (when my climate control module broke) and it's fine. it has no effect on the rest of the car since it's purely an accessory. you don't need AC to run the car.

-Ron