Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2003, 09:05 PM
Master License

Rides:bmw 97-328i
jwm328i is a New Registered Member
Angry e36 97 328i climate control problem

im having problems with my climate control it keeps cutting on and off by itself and will stay on but have no display and the fan will still be blowing sometimes does anybody know how to fix this problem help it s starting to get cold in tennessee.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:08 AM
Master License

Rides:2002 m3 smg
Region: Australia
kyu79 is a New Registered Member
i had same problem with my 97 328is. u probably need to replace the control unit , not the aircon. it was somewhere around USD$400~500.
Old 11-02-2003, 12:55 PM
Living the dream....

Rides:'98 328i
Region: USA - Rocky Mountains
inacoma is a New Registered Member
True, it is your control unit that needs to be replaced......But there is a guy on this board that has found the problem and can just replace a certain resister or diode or something. He has a link to the instruction on the board somewhere, sorry I can't remember the address. Try doing a search for a fix to the climate control module and you may come up with it. If you do not feel safe doing the fix yourself he will do it for you for a very small fee. Or you could maybe take the unit and the instructions into a TV repair place or someplace that works with circuit boards, the electronics department of a close college would probably love to do it.....I know the program that I was in would have loved it. Let me see if I can find this website for you.... Stay tuned..... Also if you do some searching there was recall or a tsb or something to that effect on the displays in the car..... searching.....
Old 11-02-2003, 01:09 PM
Living the dream....

Rides:'98 328i
Region: USA - Rocky Mountains
inacoma is a New Registered Member
Here it is http://www.macadamizer.com/bmwfix.html Also do a search for "climate control" and it is a thread towards the bottom of the search titled "I can FIX your CLIMATE CONTROL" started by Bretts02. He has somemore info in the actual thread so that is worth looking at. Maybe you can even just search the thread name and his screen name and come up with is easier... Hope this helps.....
Old 11-02-2003, 07:11 PM
Master License

Rides:1997 BMW M3 Sedan
ExtreM3 is a New Registered Member
I did the fix myself for $1. I took the climate control unit apart and found the faulty capacitor. I used soldering iron to remove the capacitor and put in a new one. I bought the capacitor at Radio Shack for $1. Took 30 mins to do the whole swap. Works like a champ.
Old 11-03-2003, 06:35 PM
Master License

Rides:bmw 97-328i
jwm328i is a New Registered Member
thanks i tried to find the capacitor the website was talking about at radio shack but i couldnt find a .47uf 50volt tantalum capacitor so i just desoldered the old cap. and then resoldered it back and now it works fine but i feel like this is a short fix where do i get that capacitor or what is exactly the name of it ? and thanks i had no problem taking apart the control module thanks to your pics you saved me over 300 dollars so far.