Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E36 3-series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 09:43 AM
Master License

Rides:95 BMW 325is
Region: Canada
tatawaki is a New Registered Member
Can VANOS squeel?

when I start the car up in the morning, i head the engine squeel until it starts to get warm. Then the only time it squeels when it's over 2500 rmp and nothing below.

EVERYTHING has been replaced in regards to the belt system.
BMW is telling me it's the VANOS.

I have also a rattling noise coming from the VANOS. This never happened until I got the M3 cams put in. Any Idea as to what would have caused it rattle, and I guess now squeel?

Jer
Old 07-16-2003, 10:21 PM
BMW Motorsport Gmbh

Rides:1995 BMW M3 w LS6 swap and ;01 LS7powered E46 M3;E39 M5
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
MMTuning is a New Registered Member
the "rattling" sound is normal for most cars. Depending on how loud it is, determines whether it is normal or if there is a bad tensioner somewhere. As far as the squeal over 2500rpms, I was going to say it is probably a belt slipping due to condensation on the belts and pulleys(more likely if you have a/c on), but you had the belts replaced. If BMW says it is the Vanos system, I would say that some sprockets and spacers were installed incorrectly during the cam swap. One might pull the valve cover to check as metal on metal contact would create a squeal. If there is nothing wrong there, replace the Vanos Hydraulic unit as it is probably not receiving enough oil pressure due to this unit being bad. Don't rev it up until it is warm to avoid this problem. I drive my car very mildly for at least 5 minutes to allow it to get up to operating temps before applying more than 40% throttle.

Last edited by MMTuning; 07-16-2003 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Faster than a 325e

Rides:318is through a red light
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
nickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master Licensenickmpower has achieved their Master License
dude MMTunign u seriously know everything, every time there is a tread like this with someone asking for help with a problem you always have a good deatild post answering the question. You have helped a lot of people
Old 07-17-2003, 07:31 AM
BMW Motorsport Gmbh

Rides:1995 BMW M3 w LS6 swap and ;01 LS7powered E46 M3;E39 M5
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
MMTuning is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by nickmpower
dude MMTunign u seriously know everything, every time there is a tread like this with someone asking for help with a problem you always have a good deatild post answering the question. You have helped a lot of people
Thanks for the compliment
Old 07-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Master License

How much am I looking at? and what happens if I choose not to fix the VANOS unit, and it fails? will it damage anything?

Thanks.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Master License

bump.

Providing it is NOT the VANOS causing the squeel ( metal on metal ) is it ok to leave the rattling? what happens if the chain tensioner is faulty.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Chick Magnet

Rides:1993 325iA (Triple Black
JinXed is a New Registered Member
Well you can try blowing out the oil lines that run to that VANOS unit - sometimes they get blocked with crap. If that doesnt clear it up, I think the worst that will happend is reduced performance, becuase the valve timing just will stay retarded, and not advance with engine RPM... -JinX
Old 07-28-2003, 07:49 PM
Auf Eisenbahnen

Rides:98 TI Sport & 03 540/6 M-Sport
Region: USA - New England
Billan is a New Registered Member
I know I have a 4cyl that sounds different than your engine but the dealer told me that the slight rattle/squeal that I hear on my car is normal. I find it a little annoying when driving in parking garages etc. Here is a little video I made. Tell me if your car sounds the same and what you find that fixes it. Thanks

http://66.31.245.11/files/carstart.avi
Old 07-31-2003, 03:13 PM
Master License

similar but it squeels about 10 X louder! and doesn't go away now. It is there intermitenly(sp) sometimes it squeels all the time now, and sometimes not at all.

THanks for the audio clip...