Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > Technical Discussions > E30 3-series and prior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2011, 07:57 AM

Rides:Hopefully an e30 soon
Region: Australia
surrender is a New Registered Member
Buying an E30 soon

Hey everyone. I am currently searching for a clean E30 to replace my old car. I am not yet very familiar with these cars or cars in general yet but I hope to change that soon, you will have to forgive me if any of these questions sound stupid. But anyway..

So first off I am looking for a set of coilovers, I would prefer something that doesn't require any welding, and hopefully that I could install myself so I can learn a bit more about my car.
I have been looking at this: Ground Control - Complete Coilover Suspension Kit - BMW E30<br>Double Adjustable kit from Ground Control, and from what I understand it is all bolt in? Please correct me if not.

I also would like to know what options I should pick when I order them, If i leave the front spring perch alone then how limited is my adjustment?
And if I leave the standard length strut housing for the rear, will that also limit adjustment very much?
I am looking to be able to drop the car a decent amount and also run a little negative camber.
Will that kit provide everything that I need?

I am also looking at a set of 16" or 17" Compomotive CX's (BBS RS style basketweave) and I understand that I need 4x100 with a 57.1 centre bore? I want to run 16" wheels, 9" wide front wheels and 10" wide rears, approx et22 all round. I think they should fit with some camber and a bit of guard rolling?

Looking for a 325is at the moment, and thinking about an engine swap down the track. Interior will also be dealt with along with an mtech2 kit and a nice coat of paint. But first will be suspension and wheels.
Cheers for reading through all that, all information is much appreciated!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10 PM

Rides:E30 325e/i
yas786 is a New Registered Member
Hi there,
Have you found an E30 yet? Would be keen to hear how you went. Maybe also pass on any answers your receive to your questions above. Would be beneficial for my education too.
Thanks
Yas
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Old School Bad Guy

Rides:325is 1989
Ironhead is a New Registered Member
How much are you looking to spend on a 325is?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 AM
mooseoftoose

Rides:1984 Euro 320i
Region: USA - New England
Andrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master LicenseAndrew has achieved their Master License
As far as coilovers, you have a few options. Ground control makes the conversion kits for $399, but those are just sleeves you slip on a modified strut housing, and you still need shocks and struts. JOM has a conversion as well, but includes struts that you slip into the stock strut housing. BC makes a nice monotube setup, but they dont include the spindle/knuckle at the bottom of the strut assembly, so you have to cut the old strut tube off and weld on theirs. GC and H&R (possibly a few others) make crazy nice units with a knuckle already cast and welded to their strut tube. Much more expensive, but comes as a ready to go package.