Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower Forum Archive > Archived Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2001, 07:27 PM
Master License

Rides:soon 2 be OBD1 3.2L 95 M3
JohnSergio is a New Registered Member
NA engine modding and computer tuning...anyone??

how necesary is custom tuning your entire motor, to what extent of modifications?? if i were to get a custom cylinder head, cams, maybe higher comp pistons, can i simply have a custom chip (OBD1) burned and isntalled to the ECU>?? would it be necesary/better to take the entire car somewhere to ahve them tune the entire setup, on top of just a computer chip?? please help! thanks
-sergio
Old 12-17-2001, 12:24 AM
Master License

Rides:1990 Volvo 740 Turbo
LBKornhusker is a New Registered Member
Tuning is always the best option to get what the best performance for what you paid to modify the car. If you don't tune it right, you're wasting some money. I always think that engine-management systems are better chips just because you can customize them to fit your particular application. Chips just aren't my thing, I guess.
Old 12-17-2001, 12:30 AM
Master License

Rides:98 M3
fourfa is a New Registered Member
well, custom chips end up being quite expensive compared to the simple off-the-shelf mods. if you're looking at bang for the buck, it's low compared to standard chips. if you're looking at squeezing maximum power and efficiency out regardless of cost, then definitely do it.
Old 12-17-2001, 10:17 AM

Rides:1999 White M3
Region: USA - South West
Scho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally posted by LBKornhusker
I always think that engine-management systems are better chips just because you can customize them to fit your particular application. Chips just aren't my thing, I guess.
Do they make a Stand Alone Fuel Management System for an M3 or one that would work with one. I have a hard time paying $400 for a chip everytime I add a mod. Are they easy to use?
Old 12-17-2001, 11:05 AM
Master License

Rides:GT3; M3 ltw; X5 4.8is
Region: USA - South West
frayed is a New Registered Member
Yes.

No.

There are several engine management systems available, Motec, Electromotive, etc. Start by checking out Electromotive's stuff at www.getfuelinjected.com.

The Subaru crowd has been using the Electromotive Tec II with great success. Check out http://www.vishnuperformance.com. They have 'off the shelf' engine management systems based on the Tec II. If you went down this path, you'd have to reinvent what the Subaru guys have done, but for our bmws.

Corky Bell was toying around with the Tec II for his turbo kits, not sure how far he got with it. You may want to give him a call http://www.bellengineering.net/

Jeff
Old 12-17-2001, 04:49 PM
Master License

Rides:1990 Volvo 740 Turbo
LBKornhusker is a New Registered Member
RX-7 and Volvo owners seem to enjoy the Haltech management system, but Electromotive and Motec are fine products as well. There's no specific systems for BMWs as far as I know, but these aforementioned systems can be made to fit any car.