Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower Forum Archive > Archived Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2002, 09:34 AM
Banned

Rides:1988 BMW 325I, 1988 BMW 325IC CONVERTIBLE
bmwmpower1 is a New Registered Member
Does anyone know how to take apart the water pump?

Hey Guys,

Its been 2 weeks now and my engine is still over heating when its idle. When I drive it drops, but when I stop it get into the red zone. I took it to the mechanic, he said it maybe the thermostat so I had it replaced with an original one. And again my engine is overheating. So my guess is that its the waterpump. As I dont think anything else could be the cause of it. And when I park the car overnight.. The ground is wet with antifreeze. So im guessing its leaking from somewhere abit. What can be the cause of this is there something else?

If you guys know the steps how to change the waterpump that would be appreciate it or if there is a site that explains it how to take it out? Is it easy? Cause im tired of spending money.. If I can do it myself I wanna do it.

P.S If you guys know another reason why this is happening comments appreciate it... Cause I need the car and Im afraid im gonna fry the engine.

Thanks.
Peter
Old 10-09-2002, 09:36 AM
Banned

Rides:87' 325iS & 95' M3
ComeOnNow is a New Registered Member
water pump is very easy to change, do your timing belt while your there.

you cant really take a water pump apart and fix it, just buy a new one, they are cheap
Old 10-09-2002, 09:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ComeOnNow
water pump is very easy to change, do your timing belt while your there.

you cant really take a water pump apart and fix it, just buy a new one, they are cheap

Ya I know I cant repair it. I was gonna get one brand new from ebay for cheap.. But how do you replace the waterpump and the timing belt. If you could tell me step by step what to do, I would really appreciate it!
Old 10-09-2002, 03:24 PM
DTM Alkoholickz

Rides:02 MB Kompressor Coupe 6-speed
Region: USA - Pacific Northwest
Liqued12 is a Permit Holder
HEre this might help

http://www.skumwerks.net/repairs_maint/tbelt.htm

Also you should pick yourslef up a Bently. I havent done this befor But for this reason I am glad i saved this site.
Enjoy
Old 10-10-2002, 03:47 AM
Master License

Rides:bmw,325is,1987
sinisterbmw is a New Registered Member
you might also check the vent tube on the top of the radiator. i had a very small peice of rubber stuck in the vent hose which caused my car to overheat and the resivoir tank would bubble and overflow. i dont know if youre car has this or not in the same location as mine but basicaly, replace the water pump and give the rest of the cooling system a very thurough runthrough. i overlooked this for weeks before i checked the hose. as far as replacing the pump, go to pep boys and buy the repair manual. best money you could ever spend. it will tell you stap by step how to fix almost anything on the car. good luck
Old 10-10-2002, 10:46 AM
Master License

Rides:323i, 325e, 535is, 2002
5keta is a New Registered Member
Re: Does anyone know how to take apart the water pump?

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwmpower1
Hey Guys,

Its been 2 weeks now and my engine is still over heating when its idle. When I drive it drops, but when I stop it get into the red zone. I took it to the mechanic, he said it maybe the thermostat so I had it replaced with an original one. And again my engine is overheating. So my guess is that its the waterpump. As I dont think anything else could be the cause of it. And when I park the car overnight.. The ground is wet with antifreeze. So im guessing its leaking from somewhere abit. What can be the cause of this is there something else?

If you guys know the steps how to change the waterpump that would be appreciate it or if there is a site that explains it how to take it out? Is it easy? Cause im tired of spending money.. If I can do it myself I wanna do it.

P.S If you guys know another reason why this is happening comments appreciate it... Cause I need the car and Im afraid im gonna fry the engine.

Thanks.
Peter
Sounds more like a fan clutch problem. Over heating while sitting still usually indicates the fan clutch is not working.
There is another possibility...My eta was prone to overheating, and it turns out a hose clamp was loose. Most cars run in the 220 degree range, and that will boil if the system is not sealed. My loose hose clamp would let air in and allow the coolant to boil. The leak showed up as a wet spot on my rad, but it was jactuall from the fitrting sqirting when I would turn the car off.
And the water pump is an easy job if you like leaning over trying to get the third ( lowest ) bolt in. Stuff rags around the timing belt, you WILL drop a bolt down the timing cover if you don't. Takes about 2 hrs tops, 4 if you've never done it before and 6 if you can't get the fan clutch off.
To get the fan clutch off easily, Use the big pliers in the tool kit and the 10mm box wrench from the same. Leave the alt belt hooked up for this. Get the pliers on the big fan clutch nut, then hold the pulley still by using the 10mm box wrench to keep it from spinning. Remeber its reverse thread, so tighten. Now you know what the notches in the big pliers are for....
Good luck!
Old 10-11-2002, 03:14 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Does anyone know how to take apart the water pump?

Quote:
Originally posted by 5keta

Sounds more like a fan clutch problem. Over heating while sitting still usually indicates the fan clutch is not working.
There is another possibility...My eta was prone to overheating, and it turns out a hose clamp was loose. Most cars run in the 220 degree range, and that will boil if the system is not sealed. My loose hose clamp would let air in and allow the coolant to boil. The leak showed up as a wet spot on my rad, but it was jactuall from the fitrting sqirting when I would turn the car off.
And the water pump is an easy job if you like leaning over trying to get the third ( lowest ) bolt in. Stuff rags around the timing belt, you WILL drop a bolt down the timing cover if you don't. Takes about 2 hrs tops, 4 if you've never done it before and 6 if you can't get the fan clutch off.
To get the fan clutch off easily, Use the big pliers in the tool kit and the 10mm box wrench from the same. Leave the alt belt hooked up for this. Get the pliers on the big fan clutch nut, then hold the pulley still by using the 10mm box wrench to keep it from spinning. Remeber its reverse thread, so tighten. Now you know what the notches in the big pliers are for....
Good luck!
Hey Bro,

Today I had more time to look at the situatation. I poped a hood and began to anyalize the coolant stuff. What I found so far. I noticed that the fan is not turning fast. What I mean by that. When I put my hand next to it I dont feel the air coming to my hand. Its turning , but not fat I think. Cause it took like one two fingers to stop it. Another thing I found is on of the brakets on the tubbing is loose, but its not leaking I dont know if that another problem.. But the tube is still securly on it. Today I will tighten that. Do you think its the fan clutch? Cause the fan is not turning fast enough? Cause when I drive it its ok like normal. When I stop it starts to go back again. So do you think its the fan clutch. I think your right. How much do these things cost? Another thing I noticed. Everytime I put antifreeze when the light comes on.. It goes out, but a little later on it goes back on again. And the funny thing is when the engine is hot and it cools down and I open the coolant cap. The tank is completely empty. But when the engine is running and it still hot and turn of the engine and open it slowly. Its full. Its weird. And I triend running the engine with the coolant cap off to see what happens it runs ok, but when the engine begins warming up it floods (over floods).. What the hell is going on..??

Thanks,
Peter
Old 10-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Banned

Rides:87' 325iS & 95' M3
ComeOnNow is a New Registered Member
if you can stop the fan with 2 fingers while the engine is running your fan clutch is bad....
Old 10-11-2002, 03:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ComeOnNow
if you can stop the fan with 2 fingers while the engine is running your fan clutch is bad....
Do you think this can be the problem to the over heating? Cause I dont feel any air coming at my hand..
Old 10-11-2002, 05:48 PM
Master License

Rides:323i, 325e, 535is, 2002
5keta is a New Registered Member
Re: Re: Re: Does anyone know how to take apart the water pump?

Quote:
Originally posted by bmwmpower1

Hey Bro,

Today I had more time to look at the situatation. I poped a hood and began to anyalize the coolant stuff. What I found so far. I noticed that the fan is not turning fast. What I mean by that. When I put my hand next to it I dont feel the air coming to my hand. Its turning , but not fat I think. Cause it took like one two fingers to stop it. Another thing I found is on of the brakets on the tubbing is loose, but its not leaking I dont know if that another problem.. But the tube is still securly on it. Today I will tighten that. Do you think its the fan clutch? Cause the fan is not turning fast enough? Cause when I drive it its ok like normal. When I stop it starts to go back again. So do you think its the fan clutch. I think your right. How much do these things cost? Another thing I noticed. Everytime I put antifreeze when the light comes on.. It goes out, but a little later on it goes back on again. And the funny thing is when the engine is hot and it cools down and I open the coolant cap. The tank is completely empty. But when the engine is running and it still hot and turn of the engine and open it slowly. Its full. Its weird. And I triend running the engine with the coolant cap off to see what happens it runs ok, but when the engine begins warming up it floods (over floods).. What the hell is going on..??

Thanks,
Peter
Sounds like an air bubble, and a loose hose, and a bad fan clutch in that order.
Tighten your hose clamps. It is possible to have them let air in but not let coolant out, happened on my car.
Next park on an incline with the front higher than the rear. Turn the heater on full blast, and top off the coolant. Run the engine till warm, then pull the cap. Top up if needed. Put the cap back on. There is a small 8mm bleeder bolt on top of the thermostat housing, loosen it while the engine is still running and allow all the bubbles to escape. Tighten, rev the engine for a bit and repeat. When you shut it down, pop the cap again. Top up last time.
Then tackle the fan clutch. It's reverse thread ( and expensive, like 85 dollars, which is why I say do it last ).

Good luck!