Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower Forum Archive > Archived Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2002, 09:52 PM
Master License

Rides:93 Gs300 BLack on Dark grey
JMai22 is a New Registered Member
Stop Trunk Vibration from bass

ok i have 2 Alpine 12"s Type R in my trunk and my trunk rattle's on the outside like its gonna fall apart. whats the best method to stop all this rattling. is there any way to stop the vibration than using rammaat or dynamat because i heard these just block the road noise and keep them out of the car. doesn't really damper the vibration on my trunk.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:14 PM
Hater

Rides:05 CGM WRX
Region: USA - North East
Knightmare69 is a New Registered Member
It's your license plate that's rattling. At least that's what it is on my car. I have 2 12in JL Audios and they shake the cabin. You just need to find some way to either make the license plate really flat against the trunk or far enough that it won't rattle. I have yet to find the ultimate method. For now, I just used some washers and it's helped a little.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:16 PM
Master License

its not my license plate. most of the vibration is coming from the side of my bumper and from the trunk door. when i push down on the trunk most of the vibration stop.s. I don't have a BMW. its a lexus so it might be different. but when
Old 07-14-2002, 10:17 PM
Master License

Rides:A Tortured Hellrott
Ces is a New Registered Member
expanding foam, t-shirts, fleece etc etc basically anything you can stuff in the nook and crannies that are vibrating
Old 07-14-2002, 10:22 PM
Master License

whats expanding foam?? also the side of my bumper vibrates and if i put something in there and it gets wet will that do any damage to my car
Old 07-14-2002, 10:32 PM
Banned by Warnings

Rides:1995 Dakar M3
Sean M3 is a New Registered Member
I have the same damn problem in my M3. I have two 12" JL Audio subs, and whenever I listen to music even somewhat loud, my trunk rattles like crazy. I have heard that DynaMat actually does work and will totally stop the vibrating if you get the trunk kit. Can someone shed some light on this subject?
Old 07-14-2002, 10:38 PM
Master License

it makes my whole sound system seem cheap when the trunk vibrates. my sound system sounds VERY clear and good on the inside when when i drive by someone's house and they hear the trunk rattlin it sounds ghetto and seem like your sound system is cheap.
Old 07-14-2002, 10:51 PM
l337 m3

Rides:m3
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
ToM3 is a New Registered Member
i had 2 places that used to rattle in my car. the first was the license plate, and a rectangular piece of foam was a quick fix for that. the other was the rear deck... i just ripped up an old t-shirt and stuffed it under there via the trunk ceiling. no more rattles

on ur car tho... that's really weird how ur bumper is what's rattling. check for any loose screws or fasteners, maybe it's vibrating there...
Old 07-14-2002, 11:03 PM
Mastermind

Rides:an e36 & e38
Chronz is a New Registered Member
You should strip everything out of your trunk an spray it down with any spray sound dampener you choose (available at any car stereo shop) and then lay down a layer of Dynamat across the whole truck and especially the trunk deck lid! That's what I did. Dynamat is extremly effective and it does not just block the road noise! It's actually a sound dampener and more importantly a sound reflector so it will not only absorb the impact from the subs but it will refect the sound back into your cab! Where you want it the most Trust me I have three AudioBahn 10's with 1000 watts going into them and my trunk doesn't rattle one bit but if I didn't have my sound proofing it would be a different story Hope this helps -Chronz
Old 07-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Hater

Rides:05 CGM WRX
Region: USA - North East
Knightmare69 is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by JMai22
its not my license plate. most of the vibration is coming from the side of my bumper and from the trunk door. when i push down on the trunk most of the vibration stop.s. I don't have a BMW. its a lexus so it might be different. but when
Whoops, sorry about that. I didn't see your car description. In any case, almost all of the cars that I know with big systems have the same problem and we all see that it's our license plates.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:45 PM
Master License

Rides:A Tortured Hellrott
Ces is a New Registered Member
get some type of sound deadener, and wherever you cant squeeze the deadener into.... put expanding foam (i.e. great stuff brand) it dried hard and will stop any metal to metal contact... t-shirts will also work but its harder to get into the tight fitting spots and keep it there, pillow fill will also work

Any questions - dont hesitate to pm me - Manny
Old 07-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Vancouver rep.

Rides:none
unban vb pls. is a New Registered Member
http://www.cascadeaudio.com

this is what you need...
I have it in my car...no more bad rattling...
Old 07-15-2002, 07:05 AM
Banned

Rides:with an H on the back
Hyjnx da Audi is a New Registered Member
ya Dynamat, my friend had 2 Rockford's and 2 jl audios....and his trunk was like shakin water off it, he got dynamat. i mean the expanding foam u have a little straw that it shoots through and then it expand in the area, id doesnt expand so much that it moves things, i just expands to fill the holes that are there...its not a bad idea acctually...I think that this should be moved to the Audio forum though...IMO
Old 07-15-2002, 09:15 AM
Master License

Rides:E36 parts for sale!
HDK is a New Registered Member
my biggest problem is the darn trunk release button on E36s. That is the main source for all the rattling! It really makes my car sound like crap! Since the button has to be pressed in to release the trunk, there has to be some slack. Because of that, it rattles like a mutha. Anyone have any tips on how to fix that? Thanks!
Old 07-15-2002, 09:20 AM
Banned

Rides:with an H on the back
Hyjnx da Audi is a New Registered Member
Dynamat my friend its ur best bet...goto Tweeters or ur local sound shop and ask them the same question and see what they say, dont buy anything, just ask and then maybe come back here and share with us...i mean if u ask they will tell u everything cuz they want to take u money...