Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower Forum Archive > Archived Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2002, 10:16 AM
Master License

Rides:1997 BMW M3
mmmvious is a New Registered Member
OPINION - H&R race springs & Bilstein sports

Looking for feedback on this set-up. I am trying to decide whether to go with H&R sport or race springs with Bilstein sport shocks. What I want to know, is for you guys running H&R race, did you install camber plates - or is this necessary? The car is strictly for street use, I like the lower, more aggressive race springs, but don't want to be wearing out the inner tread of tires quickly due to the lower race springs. Do you guys really notice increased uneven wear with the H&R race springs? Any feedback would be appreciated -
thanks in advance,
Darren
Old 03-14-2002, 12:14 PM
Master License

Rides:94' BMW 329i
Prestige329i is a New Registered Member
I got the Race springs and Bilstein shocks. As you can see from my sig the car is pretty low. The ride quality is not that bad. I would recommend this set-up simply because you are looking for a street application. If you are worried about wearing the inside f your tires, why don't you get a set of Rear Camber Correction Arms . I have a set on my car, and it will surely clear up the problem.
Old 03-14-2002, 12:36 PM

Rides:1999 White M3
Region: USA - South West
Scho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master LicenseScho has achieved their Master License
Quote:
Originally posted by Prestige329i
I got the Race springs and Bilstein shocks. As you can see from my sig the car is pretty low. The ride quality is not that bad. I would recommend this set-up simply because you are looking for a street application. If you are worried about wearing the inside f your tires, why don't you get a set of Rear Camber Correction Arms . I have a set on my car, and it will surely clear up the problem.
What about front camber problems, or are there any??
Old 03-14-2002, 02:17 PM
J. fcukin' Montoya

Rides:94 E36 325is, 07 E92 335i
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
Jed is a New Registered Member
Prestige 329i-

Your set up-is it fairly similar to the H&R Cup Kit? From what I read, height on the the Cup Kit is similar to the Sport springs. Your ride quality-its not bone shattering is it?
Old 03-14-2002, 03:05 PM
Master License

Rides:GT3; M3 ltw; X5 4.8is
frayed is a New Registered Member
Bilsteins and Race springs will rattle the teeth out of your skull. Some people don't mind I suppose, but I would want to drive a car everyday with that setup. Not only do the race springs have really high spring rates, but they Bilstein shocks tend to be a bit overdamped.

If you want low and a good ride, go for a quality c/o kit that uses shortened shock bodies. . . a street setup from GC, or H&R, or FK, or Koni.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:19 PM
Master License

Rides:94' BMW 329i
Prestige329i is a New Registered Member
Scho,
I do not have any front camber problems.

Jed,
I don't think my car is a sport set-up. I have seen many M3s with the sport springs and they seem to be alot higher than me. My car is even lower than a few M3s with race springs.

Frayed,
What do you mean Bilsteins and Race springs will rattle the teeth out of your skull . My teeth are perfectly fine , I love it, but then again I don't mind a little harsh ride.
Old 03-14-2002, 03:28 PM
Master License

Rides:GT3; M3 ltw; X5 4.8is
frayed is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Prestige329i
Frayed,
What do you mean Bilsteins and Race springs will rattle the teeth out of your skull . My teeth are perfectly fine , I love it, but then again I don't mind a little harsh ride.
Well, my aging arse needs cushion!!

I've been in race/bilstein sprung cars before, and would not have that as a daily driver. . . but, it's all subjective anyway. Like arguing blue should be your favorite color.

To be honest, I could go a bit stiffer than my H&R c/o's; this is good, since I have a bit of room to experiement with some linear rate springs and sways, to tame a slightly 'light' rear end that I've noticed on the track.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Master License

Rides:The 4/5/6 Train!
Region: USA - North East
SJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master License
If you're gonna get the H&R Race springs, definitely do the H&R Cup kit. You have perfectly matched shocks to the low springs. Yes, you will need a camber correction kit, but if you're gonna slam your ride, you might as well do it right. I've helped a friend install it on his 325, and I'm telling you, the ride in my 328 with the H&R Sports/Bilstien Combo is rougher than his H&R Cup Kit setup. The rear camber kit from AA is good too. Plus, I highly recommend getting the Firestone lifetime alignment deal. Damn good money spent for me.

Prestige, what's up, man? I'm in CT now...I guess that's the east coast, huh? Still about the same distance from you guys as Texas, though. Hows the baby running?
Old 03-14-2002, 06:42 PM
Master License

Rides:95 325ic,93 318is
bmwada2ud is a New Registered Member
I have H&R race springs with the Bilstein soprts.Along with my 18" schnitzers in a convertible I feel like Im riding in a semi truck.Very stiff but Nice handeling...
Old 03-14-2002, 07:20 PM
teh crax0rhead

Rides:94 325is
Region: USA - South East
runetang is a New Registered Member
So what shocks would you suggest with the H&R race springs to provide a stiff yet somewhat comfy ride? I know itll be stiff, but not as stiff as the bilstein setup im sure
Old 03-14-2002, 07:34 PM
Master License

SJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master LicenseSJTrance has achieved their Master License
Like I said, the H&R Cup kit is what you need. It has the same Race spring drop, but a comfortable ride. Plus, Turner was selling them for $599 a set. That's shocks and springs! It's as close as you can get to having a coilover set without the coils. It's all about shock matching. I think that is actually cheaper than buying H&R Race springs and Bilstien Shocks.

But wait! Let me take that all back. I just remembered that they don't make a cup kit for the m3's. They only make it for the 3 series. If you want a comfortable shock/strut to go with the Race Springs, do the Koni adjustable shocks. Also, look into the Eibach prodampers. I've heard that they are very soft, but people haven't really got on that bandwagon yet.
Old 03-14-2002, 10:22 PM
I smoke only dro

Rides:1997 M3
BlueIce is a New Registered Member
So how much and where can I buy a Cup Kit for an E36 325? IT has the same drop as Race/Bilstein combo?

Also, is it true that the Koni's drop the car .3 inches lower than Bilstiens?
Old 03-14-2002, 10:39 PM
Ricer 4 Life

Rides:Rieger 3
E36Eric is a New Registered Member
Its pretty rough

My car has 30k miles on it and when I changed my H&R race/Bilstein setup I thought that the shock mounts were still pretty good. But 3k miles later and theres a bunch of clunking noise from the trunk. I know for sure its my damn shock mounts. The ride from this setup is pretty rough and it gets annoying sometimes but it kicks ass on turns and smooth roads. I've been driving lowered hondas for awhile but my race/bilstein setup is the most annoying of them all. The bounciness is not forgiving, it just throws me around through bumps. Sometimes it makes my ass sore when theres a bunch of bumps on the road for a couple of miles. The rear of the car has a pretty bad negative camber but I still havent noticed any wear cuz my tires are still new and they ARE Kumhos. I just wish my car wasnt so damn harsh on those bumps. I think its the shocks cuz when I had my stock shocks with the H&R race, it was more of the cadillac feeling and easier on my ass and lower back.

Sinjay- How much was your firestone lifetime alignment deal?
Old 03-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Master License

You know what would set your ride easier? If you revalved your shocks to match your spring rate, it would be so much better for you. I believe that it is about $40 per shock to revalve it. Interestingly enough, I recently found a Bilstien factory here in Hamden, CT just a few minutes from where I live. I'm gonna look into getting my shocks revalved too. The bilstiens really are too stiff for the H&R springs. I mean, just think about it. How can an off the shelf shock be suitable for several different springs?

The lifetime alignment was around $130 or so. Each time I install something like the Sway bars, or new tires, I just take my car over there early the next day and they fix me right up. It has paid for itself twice over already.
Old 03-15-2002, 05:41 PM
Tony Lukes

Rides:VW
Region: USA - South East
ToplessBMW3 is a New Registered Member
Quote:
Originally posted by bmwada2ud
I have H&R race springs with the Bilstein soprts.Along with my 18" schnitzers in a convertible I feel like Im riding in a semi truck.Very stiff but Nice handeling...
Finally someone with a convertible that has dropped it pretty much the same way I want to! First thing I gotta ask you...how did your car sit before you put the springs and shocks on? Did the back sit nice and low but the front sat real high? Cause that's how mine sits, looks stupid! Everyone asks me if I dropped the back cause it sits almost right on the rear tire, but the front has like almost 3 inches of clearance. Here's some pics of my car if you wanna take a look and see what I'm talking about, one is perfect, it's the pic of just the front passenger wheel and wheel well...
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292016797
Next thing, I don't really wanna go with the race springs, but the sports. Will it ride a lot less stiff than yours does? Any help and comments would be greatly appreciated. Like I said, I'd love to chat with you about this, so if you have AOL IM or if you wanna private message me, go ahead Let me know, thanks man. - Sal