Go Back   DTMPower BMW Forum > DTMPower Forum Archive > Archived Threads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Master License

Rides:'01 Impreza RS, '87 325i
e-brake is a New Registered Member
Question What causes flames to shoot out exhaust pipe?

I was looking at pics of the M3 GTR and was wondering what causes flames to shoot out the exhaust pipe? Does it have something to do with backpressure?
Old 02-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Master License

Rides:#56 IP M3
Region: USA - South West
SG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master LicenseSG_M3 has achieved their Master License
it happens when some of the fuel doesn't completely burn, and is then dumped it the hot exhaust where it then ignites and causes the flames. Most cars running pretty rich and w/o cats will shoot a flame.
Old 02-25-2002, 10:34 PM
Master License

Rides:E36 M3
Region: USA - North East
M3sRsick is a New Registered Member

i know that catalytic converters and resonators prevent it, on some kids RX7 i know he had his cats removed and whenever he redlines it backfires and flames come out. pretty funny at a red light and people are walking behind his car. also my old eclipse used to back fire flames once in a while, don't really know what causes them but i do konw that cat's eliminate them in most cases. at least i think
Old 02-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Suave Boulevardier

Rides:2004 Mini Cooper S
Region: USA - Mid-Atlantic
Hellrot is a New Registered Member
An old hot rodders trick was to weld in a spark plug into the rear muffler, hook it to the battery with a switch, and then load up the car and hit the switch = instant flames.

I don't think you can do that anymore since cars computers create a almost perfect air/fuel mix.

I could do the same thing with a '68 Chevy truck I used to drive when I first started it. I'd choke the hell out of it, feather the gas, and then lean it out and punch it = great big sheet of flame. I worked at a campground and used to do it for the foreign tourists, who used to tape it

How many people here have ever owned a car with a choke adjustment? And for you single guys I'm not talking about the chicken choke

Last edited by Hellrot; 02-25-2002 at 10:46 PM.